OWLS & OTHERS FROM THE NORTH SHORE OF MASSACHUSETTS AND ELSEWHERE ACROSS THE USA

I'm an avid birder and nature photographer wishing to share some of my sightings & images taken while out in the "wilds" of Cape Ann and surrounding New England countryside. More images can be found on my web site at New England Birds Plus Enjoy, Phil Brown


"Click" on any image below for a larger version....


Comments & Question - nebirdsplus@gmail.com

New England Birds Plus Images on SmugMug

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cooper's Hawk

January 19, 2012

Another Cooper's Hawk sat long enough for several photos this morning. This one a young hawk, less than a year old.


I use my Toyota Corolla as a portable blind when the conditions allow and today was no exception. The shot above was taken at a fair distance allowing the hawk a bit of time to get used to the car. I drove a bit closer for the next shot.


Or should I say, backed up a bit closer, as this was the best approach without spooking the hawk.

No the hawk isn't yodeling in the image below. This was just one of the many poses I saw prior to it regurgitating a pellet.


Just after dropping the pellet as it pulled itself back together and tucked it's foot back in.


A look at it's eye in the image below and you can see the nictitating membrane or 2nd eyelid as it begins to pass over the eye.


And one more look prior to my driving off, leaving the hawk where I found it. I love it when I can pull that off!


3 comments:

  1. What a handsome creature, and captured really well Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love those Cooper's Hawks you have over there Phil. Super images too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you! The backyard birds aren't to fond of the visiting raptors but I certainly enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete

Comments and questions are always welcome!