OWLS & OTHERS FROM THE NORTH SHORE OF MASSACHUSETTS AND ELSEWHERE ACROSS THE USA

I'm an avid birder and nature photographer wishing to share some of my sightings & images taken while out in the "wilds" of Cape Ann and surrounding New England countryside. More images can be found on my web site at New England Birds Plus Enjoy, Phil Brown


"Click" on any image below for a larger version....


Comments & Question - nebirdsplus@gmail.com

New England Birds Plus Images on SmugMug

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Sharp-shinned Hawk

An adult Sharp-shinned Hawk spent several minutes in the yard this morning, allowing for a bit of video and a few photos out the 2nd floor window. A songbird of some sort was silly enough to land above the hawk which quickly took off after it. I didn't see the outcome.


A brief video of the hawk surveying the yard.


Just prior to take off.


I see very few "Sharpies" in the yard always wishing more would stop by, they're such a colorful raptor.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Phil. More great images! Your Sharp-shinned Hawk looks a bit like our Sparrowhawk, and sounds as if it has similar habits! I always have mixed feelings when one of these arrives in our garden (yard) - a thrill at seeing a magnificent raptor, and fear for our regular garden birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Richard, I have Cooper's Hawks, the Sharp-shinned's larger cousin, fairly regularly through the year but would love to see these smaller raptors a bit more often. I do feel bad for the birds that get taken and what a way to have to live, hoping you're not the next meal but watching nature take it's course I always find fascinating.

    ReplyDelete

Comments and questions are always welcome!