OWLS & OTHERS FROM THE NORTH SHORE OF MASSACHUSETTS AND ELSEWHERE ACROSS THE USA

I'm an avid birder and nature photographer wishing to share some of my sightings & images taken while out in the "wilds" of Cape Ann and surrounding New England countryside. More images can be found on my web site at New England Birds Plus Enjoy, Phil Brown


"Click" on any image below for a larger version....


Comments & Question - nebirdsplus@gmail.com

New England Birds Plus Images on SmugMug

Saturday, October 8, 2011

1st Fall Screech Owl of 2011 - October 07, 2011

A bit early for Screech Owls to be roosting in holes in trees but this individual was fun to see. This is my earliest fall "Screech in a hole" to date. The trees are still full of leaves which is usually enough to hide them from both predators and scolding song birds. Maybe the chilly overnight temps pushed it to roost in the cavity.


A visit to the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge this past Tuesday found several Wild Turkeys roosting at the Hellcat parking lot along the fence.


While further down the road towards lot #6 this Blue Grosbeak perched up for a few moments.

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the Screech Owl in the tree. What a beautiful contrast of natural colour - the red/browns of the owl and the pale browns of the tree. I wish we had these wonderful owls in England.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christian! I wish we had your Little Owls over here in the states! They're out in the open more often and a bit more cooperative than our Screech Owls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. something nice about seeing 'familiar' faces return

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Scott, nice that yours returned as well! I hope you get the nest cam repaired at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just catching up with your blog, Phil, after returning from a Scottish vacation. I just love your Screech Owl and, like Christian, would love to see one. The orange-red colored ones are particularly attactive. What percentage (approximately, of course!) of the Screeches that you see are of this coloration? (I understood that this was more common in the south?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Richard, thanks for your note, it gave me the nudge to look at my records and pull a rather unscientific answer out.

    I have recorded a total of 569 Screech Owl sightings to date. Of these I noted the color morph on 495 of the sightings of which 356 or 72% were red - 120 or 24% were gray and 19 or 4% were brown. A number of my sightings are of the same birds over several days so the data is a bit biased but I'd say the red morph is the most common in eastern Massachusetts.

    I hope you had a spectacular vacation!

    ReplyDelete

Comments and questions are always welcome!