OWLS & OTHERS FROM THE NORTH SHORE OF MASSACHUSETTS AND ELSEWHERE ACROSS THE USA

I'm an avid birder and nature photographer wishing to share some of my sightings & images taken while out in the "wilds" of Cape Ann and surrounding New England countryside. More images can be found on my web site at New England Birds Plus Enjoy, Phil Brown


"Click" on any image below for a larger version....


Comments & Question - nebirdsplus@gmail.com

New England Birds Plus Images on SmugMug

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Yellow-rumped Warblers

A stop at Salisbury Beach State Reservation this morning found a few dozen Yellow-rumped Warblers feeding along the road just out of the wind.

Bayberry, a favorite of these Warblers




The yellow rump - hence the name.


A late Rose-breasted Grosbeak was spending its time eating Cedar Berries when not being chased by the Northern Mockingbird that thought they were all his.


My Brother Dave who lives just off of Rte 1A in Beverly assisted with my Screech Owl addiction today, allowing me to place two boxes in his backyard. I've seen Screech Owls in the neighborhood and have high hopes for a nesting pair in these boxes next spring!


10 comments:

  1. Those Yellow-rumped Warblers are great-looking birds, Phil. Lovely images!

    Wishing you good luck with the owl boxes. Intrigued by the differing design - is one a roost box and the other a nest box? Or are you just hedging your bets with the design?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phil,
    I just discovered your Blog and photography sites through your sparrow photos on Dave Sibley's Blog. Great shots. I have a question. Could the berries the top Yellow-rumped Warbler is eating be Poison Ivy? They look a bit whitish and the plant stem doesn't look correct for Bayberry.

    Frank Mantlik
    CT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Frank, thanks for your kind words, not sure on the berries, I'll look into them a bit further, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Richard, Yes, a roost and nest box, another local owler has had great success with the wider opening. Thanks for your kind words!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Phil,
    Found your site looking for information on the Yellow-rumped Warbler. You've taken some really nice pictures, thanks for sharing. Like all your birdhouses too.

    How are you attracting the owls?

    Found a Yellow-rumped Warbler this morning.

    Michael
    Caught On Camera

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michael, thanks for your kind words! and you have a very nice blog as well, love the Bluebirds! The Owls are a "build it and they will come" scenario. I have several boxes up in different locations with most being used for winter roosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Phil,
      I live on a mountain but have never seen any owls. Our house is surrounds by thousands of acres of wildreness. I have heard them at night but never seen them. So you think if I build an owl house they will find it? Do you by chance have a owl box plan?

      I just started my blof a few weeks ago, thank you for commenting. * Please leave a comment sometime.

      I'd love to get pictures of an owl!
      Michael

      Delete
  7. Plans for a Screech Owl box can be sen at the link below. A Google search for Screech Owl nest box will bring up several other plans as well. Place the box at least 10' off of the ground, facing south or south west (away from north east storms and towards winter sunshine) If you put the box on a tree think about Squirrels and how to keep them out, flashing on the bottom of the tree - or use a pressure treated 4' x 4' with a squirrel baffle ensuring they don't have access. There are a few Squirrel resistant designs out there, I've added a link to a local guy that builds this type of box and has had great success with his "SQR box". Best of luck!

    http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/pdf/Pub%20419.pdf

    http://owloasis.wordpress.com/about/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great..., thank you Phil. I will follow up and let you know how I am progressing on the box.

      thanks again for sharing,
      Michael

      Delete
    2. Good morning Phil,
      I fould a local supplier for the 1 x 12 cedar!! I am hope to get it tomorrow if it works out. I will certainly send you a picture when I am done.

      Take a look at his turkey, close-up from my trail cam.

      have a great weekend!
      Michael
      Wild Mountain Turkey

      Delete

Comments and questions are always welcome!